Hibari Japanese Restaurant

Hibari Japanese Restaurant is situated in the busy restaurant strip in Broadbeach. This restaurant has been there for years and I have previously dined there for the all you can eat shabu shabu and sukiyaki. The last time I went there was probably 3-4 years ago. Back in the day, the all you can eat cost around $25 per person, which was very reasonable. You get a selection of meats (beef, pork, chicken) and tofu, wombok, carrots, shallots and glass noodles. Shabu shabu also comes with dipping sauce (sesame & shabu shabu sauce).

So why did I decide to visit Hibari tonight? Because I was fortunate enough to get a buy one get one free main meal or buffet coupon! I thought, why not?! It was buy one get one free! When I sat down and looked at their 'buffet menu' I was really impressed! Although the price has been increased to $35.90 per person, the all you can eat option now also includes a wide selection of other items to order, ranging from sides, entrees, noodles and dessert!

So as you can see, I went a little crazy with the ordering............. I just wanted to try everything! But I knew that I won't be able to eat all the shabu shabu stuff, so I limited myself with only ordering the things I really wanted to eat.... 

Buffet Menu
Shabu Shabu meat & veggies
The meat was tender the first time. When we ordered the second platter of meat, the beef was a bit tough, because they had sliced it the wrong way. I wasn't happy with the wombok because it did not look like it had been washed. I found small flies/insects inside the leaves of the wombok. After attempting to pick out the tiny flies, I just gave up and left all the wombok untouched.

Shabu Shabu
Shabu Shabu and Sesame Sauce for dipping

Salmon Nigiri
 The salmon nigiri was quite nice, the salmon was fresh and fatty. But I think the there was too much rice.
Agedashi Tofu
 The agedashi tofu was very crispy. It kind of reminded me of the 'stinky tofu' in Hong Kong. (Stinky tofu is a popular local snack in Hong Kong. It's called stinky tofu because you can smell it from blocks away!
Takoyaki
 The takoyaki was the frozen/instant variety that you can purchase from the Japanese grocery store. I kind of expected this, but it was still nice!
Gyoza
 The gyoza was good, but if I was to be really picky, I thought it was a bit dry inside. The meat wasn't 'juicy' enough.
Cold Soba
 What can go wrong with cold soba? This was up to expectations.
Vegetable Tempura
 I didn't think too highly of the vegetable tempura, as I've had much better tempura elsewhere. But considering that this was part of the 'buffet' it was good enough. The slices of pumpkin and sweet potato was not paper thin, so that was a plus. But it wasn't too crunchy. Also, I didn't really like the medley of vegetables tempura.
Seasonal Fruit
 When I saw 'seasonal fruit' on the menu, I had in mind a small plate with one piece each of rockmelon, watermelon, orange and strawberry. How disappointed was I when a small plate of oranges came to the table! But none the less, it was all part of the buffet, so it was ok!
Black Sesame Ice Cream
The black sesame ice cream was very very good! Very strong black sesame flavour. It was so good, we had seconds! (because we can!)

Hibari did not disappoint! (besides the unwashed wombok). I think I will still return, considering the value for money. If you want to eat here, make sure you call to make a booking (especially on Friday/Saturday nights). It was fully booked tonight! Lucky I had made a booking!

Hibari on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. It covered a great area of the subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.
    bbq supplier singapore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment