KU-O Japanese Restaurant

Have finally got a chance to blog about this lovely little Japanese restaurant located in Market Square, Sunnybank!

KU-O Japanese restaurant is a smallish restaurant, with only a few booths and a couple of tables inside. When it had just opened, I looked at the menu outside and decided it was too expensive! Not even considering to try.

However, as the months went by, I noticed that some of my friends had been and saw some photos of their food on their facebook walls....... and wow, the food looks great! Although the portion looked quite small in the photos, the food looked tasty!

Whenever I go to Sunnybank for lunch/dinner, it is rare that we eat Japanese. Maybe because there are many good quality and well priced Japanese restaurants on the Gold Coast, so I tend to eat Chinese/Malaysian when I'm in Sunnybank, because this type of cuisine is cheaper and better in Sunnybank/Brisbane.

None the less, I wanted to try finally try KU-O for myself and see what it is like, after reading so many other reviews on Urbanspoon and seeing so many photos on facebook (yes, my friend did visit a fair few times!)

The restaurant was quite busy when we arrived for dinner, so we had to wait about 10-15mins for a table. We were then seated at a small wooden table inside the tiny restaurant. When you walk in, the counter/kitchen is on the left, there are booths/tables on the right and in the middle section there were 3-4 tables with chunky wooden stools.

The table was tiny! And the stools, being stools had no backs to them, so there wasn't really any room to put my bag. The waitress kindly pulled over a spare stool for me to put my bag on. ^_^

We studied the menu for a few minutes then decided on what to order.

Firstly, I ordered some lemon/lime green tea. This was very refreshing and was a great start to the meal. The tea was charged per pot and you can refill with hot water. We decided to try a variety of small dishes for entree and ordered 2 mains to share.

Lemon/Lime Sencha (green tea)
Side salad - part of the sashimi set
Chicken hearts
Scallops
Ox tongue
Chicken Teriyaki Don
Sashimi set (includes sides, rice and soup)









This was the first time I tried chicken hearts! I was a bit hesitant at first, but my partner insisted on ordering this, so I agreed. To my surprise, it was quite tasty! The texture of the meat was tender and firm. The sweetness of the teriyaki sauce was just right.

The scallops were cooked perfectly, still a bit raw inside, which is how I like it so it isn't overcooked. There was a lot of sauce though, but it was still yummy!

There was plenty of ox tongue in the dish! We were eating slice after slice of ox tongue as if there was an endless supply! But I did find that some pieces were a bit too dry.

By the time I finished all the entrees, I was already full! But then the mains came........  The teriyaki chicken don was delicious! Tender pieces of marinated chicken cooked to perfection, over plump japanese rice soaked in teriyaki sauce! There was also some chilli powder on the chicken, which added some bite!

I think the most disappointing part of the meal was the sashimi set. Although the sashimi was quite fresh, I think there wasn't enough of it. The sides that came with it was uneventful. I don't think I will order this one again.

Overall, the meal was quite enjoyable, with most dishes being very delicious! I will definitely return and try their other dishes. I don't remember the price of each individual dish, but the total bill came to about $60.

KU-O Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments